The daylily peak has come, and gone, for another year. With my intense focus on savoring it during this summer of my doctorate, I am almost glad. Heavy on the almost. As with all things, we assimilate over time. If I did not get my daylily withdraw pains from November through March (yes, fans count!), I would not have time to think creatively about daylilies in a new way. Last year, I made tile coasters, tiled tables, self-watering jars, and solar lit mason jars all with the images of my daylily heavy summer.
If I have any regrets about this year, it is not the yard improvements that I have made. It is that some of my regulars did not bloom . . . or had much-reduced bloom. I am not sure why . . . well, probably water and sunshine. I am sure I played into it by putting pots in places that were too shady or not pre-watering enough in the spring. But, there is something bigger, because two of my three clumps of flamingo grass also did not bloom. Strange.
I’ve already made changes in the last couple of weeks. Amended soils, moved pots, changed watering systems. It’s a long quality improvement cycle until next spring. Oh, how I wish daylilies could talk. That said, I have a few sending up scapes for later blooms – one that last bloomed 2 years ago. At any rate, last count I have had 64 of 135 bloom this year. That’s 47%. I have 4 more with scapes that have not bloomed yet. If they all survive, I will hit 50. That’s good, but leaves room for some quality improvement to make sure all my new additions this year can flourish. Look out, 2017!